Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2014 - 02:16:11 EEST

On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 15:46 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 09/01/2014 02:21 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > You simply don't want to use apt correctly
>
> Downloading Recommended packages by default is a bug, not a feature:

"No. Recommends are specifically packages that should be installed by
default. We also have Suggests for packages that should not be installed
by default, but may be useful." - from the above link ;)

Btw. using workarounds until bugs are fixed and editing configs, such as
apt.conf isn't unusual for Linux. Once you might install synaptic,
without recommended/suggested packages and then you might lament about
missing features ;). In the future you should expect to experience real
unpleasant things, e.g. hard dependencies that should be optional
dependencies, but upstream decided to enforce their worldview, even if
it could make your user space unusable or damage your hardware.