Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2014 - 03:25:40 EEST

On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 20:00 -0400, David Santamauro wrote:

> On 9/1/2014 7:16 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > unpleasant things, e.g. hard dependencies that should be optional
> > dependencies, but upstream decided to enforce their worldview, even if
> > it could make your user space unusable or damage your hardware.
>
> Out of curiosity, what packages damage hardware?

The Linux software I know, that could damage hardware are:

External green drives could get damaged by gvfs, because gvfs does cause
a spin up after the spin down of the HDD. My WD drive spins down after
30 minutes. If gvfs isn't installed it stays asleep, but if gvfs is
installed a spin up is forced without any reason, so the result is that
every 30 minutes the HDD does spin down and up. For Thunar gvfs is an
optional dependency, while for Nautilus it's a hard dependency, but
there's no reason to make it a hard dependency. It's the same or the KDE
thingy, what ever it's named.

The next one isn't caused by a dependency of a package, but by the
package for an unfinished code of a released virtual synth. Phasex could
cause DC offsets for some sounds, so your speakers could burn. Fons
subscribed to the list noticed and fixed it. The patches are applied to
the Arch Linux git package, but it's untested, other distros likely
provide the version from upstream without the patches.

Such serious issues are no inventions of Linux ;), for the C64 there
already were ways to damage the hardware by writing bad code.