Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 01:22:56 EEST

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM, J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> In my workflow, this presents no problem. If I implemented this JACK
> configuration feature, then I would have CREATED a problem where there were
> none before.

> Hopefully you can see why I'm not interested in implementing this feature.
Yep. Good point, it seemed like something that would be nice to handle in NSM,
but i now agree that NSM should *not* handle jack settings. The user has to do
this manually: its not feasible to script / auto-save JACK settings reliably.

So before starting the NSM UI / nsmd, it might be worth checking if JACK is
running, and if its not, providing an option to ask
A) Do you want to start JACK a la ~/.jackdrc
B) Continue without JACK
C) Quit

Does that seem reasonable? I'm thinking about beginner users, who are not
familiar with the eco-system, and making this as usable as possible.

Cheers, -Harry

www.openavproductions.com