Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: David Christensen <dpchrist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 05:41:47 EEST

On 09/02/2014 02:14 PM, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Just curious? Does this center more on crappy internet access/cost? There are some miserable ISP options available in an amazingly large footprint given the day and age. WiMAX has helped in US but not much. I have always chosen to live in the boonies when possible and have utilized all of them at some point. When I'm in town on a nice CATV net connection that drops a 2.5g ISO on my drive in minutes, I don't care what's in the package so long as relevant to the system.

Yes!

Let us not forget that those of us with broadband Internet connections
are privileged. I suspect that many, if not most, people on this planet
have no access to this luxury.

Shame on FOSS developers that either have forgotten, or are too callous
to care about, the discipline taught by operating a computer connected
to the outside world via a plain old telephone system (POTS) modem.

Downloading 745 MB when only 4,423 kB is required is gluttony.

Distributing software that downloads 745 MB by default when only 4,423
kB is required is planned mass gluttony.

My mistake was assuming that the Debian developers understood.
Apparently, not. It appears they are not alone.

So, I've downloaded the 4,423 kB and am attempting to make that work:

David