Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 23:32:25 EEST

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:57:05AM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
> > Nor do I consider Xorg to be inside the session.

I use scripts to store and restore my sessions. Perhaps X is
unimportant, but some folks perhaps want that some apps open on another
workspace/virtual desktop than other apps do. I even don't care about
this, but IMO session managers can't provide what a user's script could
provide. For example, jackd settings are very important, assumed you use
an app as Qtractor. Qtractor does move audio recordings as good as it
can (not really perfect) depending to the jackd latency, assumed you
should change the latency, then your audio tracks and MIDI tracks would
be out of sync.

> The problem is also in thinking of JACK as something *inside* a
> session.

IOW an app as Qtractor with a "strange" latency compensation is unusable
in combination with a session manager that doesn't care about jackd?

Btw. I just read one mail, not the whole thread, but I'm very amused
about this unworldly point of view.

"NSM (Non session management) support." -
http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html

:D

Am I missing something?