Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 22:44:55 EEST

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:57:05AM -0700, J. Liles wrote:

> The problem is also in thinking of JACK as something *inside* a session. I
> don't think of it that way. Nor do I consider Xorg to be inside the
> session. JACK is external infrastrucutre.

I agree 100% with that. And not only Jack, even some apps may be
considered infrastructure instead of being particular to a session.

RE switching sample rates, I really wonder what's the point. If
you switch between 48 and 96 kHz that will in most cases have some
inpact on your HW as well: ADAT or MADI channels for example. So
that will require manual intervention anyway, no session manager
can do that for you.

There is not point in switching between 48 adn 44.1 kHz, just use
48 kHz all the time. Even if you record a CD. And how many Linux
Audio users are recording CDs anyway. Many sound cards are designed
for optimal performance at 48 kHz, with 44.1 being some compromise.

RE switching buffer sizes, if your system works reliably with some
size, there is no reason to use a larger one.

> To me this is a non-issue. Same kind of stuff that comes up every time
> anything is discussed on LAD or LAU... People bring up all these supposedly
> show-stopping scenarios that in reality either doen't come up or don't
> matter.

NSM is IMHO the only decent session manager because it *doesn't* try
to do things it shouldn't, and does those that it should do the right
way. I'd love to see *some* changes to it, but certainly not the ones
discussed in this thread.

Ciao,

--
FA