Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 21:57:05 EEST

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Nils <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> So the problem here, as I see it, is that Jack itself is not an NSM aware
> client.
>
> My perception of NSM always was that it is not strictly bound to jack but
> jack is another client. If jack would be a NSM client which supports switch
> and saves it settings in the session folder you can save the samplerate
> (and the connections, without a special program).
>
> On the other hand that binds a session to specific jack settings again,
> which is bad. Are there any examples of NSM clients that deal with
> system-specific settings?

The problem is also in thinking of JACK as something *inside* a session. I
don't think of it that way. Nor do I consider Xorg to be inside the
session. JACK is external infrastrucutre.

Having an NSM client that just persists JACK's buffer size and sample rate
settings is certainly doable and anyone is welcome to write one--it would
indeed be trivial. IMHO it would create more problems than it would solve
though. For one thing, you'd have to make sure all the software you use can
handle those changes at runtime.

Barring that, NSM would need to have some degraded session mode where
everything is killed/restarted upon switching and clients are restarted
one-after-the-other in some defined sequence instead of in parallel (to
ensure that the jack settings client does its work before any other clients
are started). But, again, this is very regressive, and for what? To support
one very strange workflow that is already supported just fine by dealing
with it 'manually'.

(when I go from recording to mixing I usually change the JACK buffer
size... is NSM supposed to do this for me automatically? I don't see how or
why it would).

To me this is a non-issue. Same kind of stuff that comes up every time
anything is discussed on LAD or LAU... People bring up all these supposedly
show-stopping scenarios that in reality either doen't come up or don't
matter.

My oppinon is: it's not a problem until it's a problem. Let's concentrate
on the real issues and leave the imaginary ones alone.