Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2014 - 23:43:35 EEST

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 20:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:32:25PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > I use scripts to store and restore my sessions. Perhaps X is
> > unimportant, but some folks perhaps want that some apps open on another
> > workspace/virtual desktop than other apps do. I even don't care about
> > this, but IMO session managers can't provide what a user's script could
> > provide. For example, jackd settings are very important, assumed you use
> > an app as Qtractor. Qtractor does move audio recordings as good as it
> > can (not really perfect) depending to the jackd latency, assumed you
> > should change the latency, then your audio tracks and MIDI tracks would
> > be out of sync.
>
> Which, if true, would only mean that Qtractor does its latency
> compensation the wrong way. Note the 'if true'.

For the versions of Qtractor I used it is true. An issue for me, because
I like to be able to use different latencies, at different work stages.
I'm aware that Ardour's latency compensation is smarter. But IMO it's
important, that Linux users who prefer session managers, at least get
informed about such issues, what ever applications they use.