Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 00:06:10 EEST

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:43:35PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 20:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > Which, if true, would only mean that Qtractor does its latency
> > compensation the wrong way. Note the 'if true'.
>
> For the versions of Qtractor I used it is true. An issue for me, because
> I like to be able to use different latencies, at different work stages.
> I'm aware that Ardour's latency compensation is smarter. But IMO it's
> important, that Linux users who prefer session managers, at least get
> informed about such issues, what ever applications they use.

There's nothing smart about it, it's not rocket science.

If Li and Lo are the current input and output latencies, then

* When recording a track, adjust the logical postion (the start offset
  relative to whatever the session uses as reference) of the data by Li.
* When playing a track, adjust its logical position by Lo.

This will do the right thing, even when period sizes etc. change.

And a session manager should not try to compensate for design errors
in applications. Once you start to do that, there is no end to the
amount of misery you will cause.

Ciao,

--
FA