Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 00:17:35 EEST

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 21:06 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:43:35PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 20:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > > Which, if true, would only mean that Qtractor does its latency
> > > compensation the wrong way. Note the 'if true'.
> >
> > For the versions of Qtractor I used it is true. An issue for me, because
> > I like to be able to use different latencies, at different work stages.
> > I'm aware that Ardour's latency compensation is smarter. But IMO it's
> > important, that Linux users who prefer session managers, at least get
> > informed about such issues, what ever applications they use.
>
> There's nothing smart about it, it's not rocket science.
>
> If Li and Lo are the current input and output latencies, then
>
> * When recording a track, adjust the logical postion (the start offset
> relative to whatever the session uses as reference) of the data by Li.
> * When playing a track, adjust its logical position by Lo.
>
> This will do the right thing, even when period sizes etc. change.
>
> And a session manager should not try to compensate for design errors
> in applications. Once you start to do that, there is no end to the
> amount of misery you will cause.
>
> Ciao,

Rui likely should know more about Qtractor's current abilities, than I
do.

OT: Jimi Hendrix's post death release of The Cry of Love IMO used much
un-synced tape affects and I bet a lot of amateur audio engineers
nowadays use the pan pot to emulate funny phasing panning effects.

I suspect nowadays sync anyway is out of stile. At least lip-sync died
out.