Re: [LAU] Yoshimi, in Carla?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 00:25:03 EEST

On 09/03/2014 08:23 AM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 07:06 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:28:23 +0100
>> Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> There is no reason for this to happen.
>>> ZynAddSubFX is more stable nowadays than Yoshimi and being maintained by
>>> a very good developer.
>>>
>>> Very soon I'll be releasing a LV2+VST plugin version of Zyn (based on
>>> the last stable release).
>>> Latest Zyn dev/git version now has fully automable parameters,
>>> undo/redo, OSC and UI<->DSP de-coupling (no more using a super ugly
>>> master mutex).
>>>
>>> As much as you might want to use Yoshimi, it needs to be let go and
>>> development focused on Zyn instead.
>> You know, I'm beginning to get a little tired of comments like this.
>>
>> Nobody is twisting your arm. If you don't want to use Yoshimi... then
>> don't.
>> However why do you think you need to try and dissuade anyone else from
>> doing so?
>> Do you know Yoshimi's roadmap? No of course you don't. I'd guess you
>> don't even
>> know what Yoshimi can currently do.
>>
>> While I intend to keep file compatibility with ZynAddSubFX as far as
>> possible,
>> we are going on a different ride - and I see no reason to reveal
>> exactly what
>> this is to such a hostile audience.
>>
>> As well as having the opportunity to take Yoshimi in directions I and
>> friends
>> want, I am learning a great deal about coding in the process.
>> Therefore, even if
>> I end up being the only person running it, I intend Yoshimi to stay
>> around, at
>> least as long as I do, so you'd best get used to the idea.
>
> This is my thing with it. I'd rather have the full focus on Zyn instead
> of having 2 separate versions.
> Some stuff will end up in Yoshimi that Zyn will not have and vice-versa.
>
> With time the code will differ so much that changes can't be applied to
> one another.
>
> When Zyn did not have a maintainer Yoshimi seemed like the right thing,
> but this is no longer the case.

As far as I know, Zyn has NEVER been without a maintainer. Where'd you
get that idea?

My experience with Zyn is freezes when running at low latencies. On the
same hardware running with the same settings, Yoshimi doesn't.

My experience with both Zyn and Yoshimi is that the UI sucks, with its
little non-resizable hard-coded window giving almost illegible text on
high-rez displays.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden