Re: [LAU] Yoshimi, in Carla?

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 01:00:57 EEST

On 09/03/2014 10:48 PM, david wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 11:42 AM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>> On 09/03/2014 10:36 PM, david wrote:
>>> My understanding is that requests to give Zyn a modern UI fall on deaf
>>> ears because it's the way the developer likes it.
>>>

>> Completely false.
>
> That wasn't my experience when I mentioned it several years ago. Maybe
> things are getting better.

My apologies then.
I didn't come to Linux until somewhat recently (6 years?)

Anyway, it was my impression that Zyn was unmaintained for a while and
because of that Yoshimi was created.
Then Zyn got a maintainer that was actively fixing things so the Yoshimi
fork just doesn't seem as critical as before.

Maybe I'm missing something here...?

>> The current Zyn release already has had a small UI change by using NTK
>> instead of FLTK.
>> See http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/NtkPatches
>> This has been merged a few months ago.
>
> Hmm, OK, what version of Zyn has that?

The latest stable one has it at least.

>> There were also talks about doing a completely new UI.
>> This concept so far is the most widely praised for this:
>> http://budislavtvp.deviantart.com/art/ZynAddSubFX-UI-Concept-2014-455890191
>>

> Looks nice. Is the screen fully resizable, font size customizable,
> etc? With multi desktop environments, I can easily give Zyn/Yoshimi
> it's own full desktop.

I don't think having customizable options is the purpose of that UI.
The author of that mockup designed a new layout for Zyn that would fit
all the dialogs into a single window, which I find very nice.
I'd implement that UI myself if I wasn't so busy with other projects...