Re: [LAU] Yoshimi, in Carla?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 01:09:43 EEST

On 09/03/2014 12:00 PM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 10:48 PM, david wrote:
>>>>

>>> Completely false.
>>
>> That wasn't my experience when I mentioned it several years ago. Maybe
>> things are getting better.
>
> My apologies then.
> I didn't come to Linux until somewhat recently (6 years?)
>
> Anyway, it was my impression that Zyn was unmaintained for a while and
> because of that Yoshimi was created.
> Then Zyn got a maintainer that was actively fixing things so the Yoshimi
> fork just doesn't seem as critical as before.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here...?

History. IIRC, Yoshimi happened because the Zyn and Yoshimi developers
didn't agree on direction or features or something like that. No because
Zyn wasn't being maintained.

Besides, competition is good!

>>> The current Zyn release already has had a small UI change by using NTK
>>> instead of FLTK.
>>> See http://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/NtkPatches
>>> This has been merged a few months ago.
>>
>> Hmm, OK, what version of Zyn has that?
>
> The latest stable one has it at least.

Then it hasn't made any difference at the UI end.

>>> There were also talks about doing a completely new UI.
>>> This concept so far is the most widely praised for this:
>>> http://budislavtvp.deviantart.com/art/ZynAddSubFX-UI-Concept-2014-455890191
>>>

>> Looks nice. Is the screen fully resizable, font size customizable,
>> etc? With multi desktop environments, I can easily give Zyn/Yoshimi
>> it's own full desktop.
>
> I don't think having customizable options is the purpose of that UI.
> The author of that mockup designed a new layout for Zyn that would fit
> all the dialogs into a single window, which I find very nice.
> I'd implement that UI myself if I wasn't so busy with other projects...

If you're going to redesign the UI that much, you might as well address
the biggest weakness of the whole thing - the insistence on a fixed
size, small window in the first place.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden