Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 17:49:42 EEST

Hi Rui :)

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 15:34 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> as said, automatic latency compensation in qtractors audio recording is
> a one-time settlement--it gets settled at the time you take the
> recording. nevermore it gets auto-adjusted later on, ie. the take offset
> value, as read from jack_port_get_latency*(), won't ever change
> thereafter. that means you're in charge to tweak it later if you please,
> by summoning the clip properties dialog and changing the offset value as
> you wish.

IIUC NSM doesn't care about the jackd settings. When Qtractor also
ignores the settings, expects that they are the same as when an audio
track was recorded, then Qtractor _does not_ support NSM session
management. I start my sessions by scripts and don't use a session
manager and it seems that my decision to do so is good.

> rest assured that, in qtractor sequencer model, ever since its
> inception, all time locations do honor the midi/music metric scale
> resolution. that has been kind of an argument why i always posed
> qtractor as *not a DAW* but rather a *sequencer with (some) DAW
> features* ;)

Fair enough, so next time I'll increase the MIDI resolution, to be able
to fix sync issues with audio tacks, while for MIDI I don't need a
higher resolution.

Regards,
Ralf