Re: [LAU] Session management with NSM

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 23:36:47 EEST

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM, David Santamauro <
david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 3:46 PM, J. Liles wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM, David Santamauro
>> <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden <mailto:david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>>
>> 2. Anyone who wants to create a client to persist jack settings is
>> welcome to do so, and this doesn't require any changes to NSM.
>> However,
>> it is unlikely to work with sample rate changes. Lots of programs
>> support runtime bufsize changes though, if that's what you're
>> into.
>>

>> I would love to take a stab at this. Seems like something within my
>> reach but if there is no option "start-before-others" or some
>> priority client loading, this seems pointless.
>>

>> As long as no clients crash or otherwise freak out when you change the
>> buffer size at runtime, then there's no need to enforce an order. The
>> synchronization is only required in order to shutdown/restart JACK
>> (which isn't necessary to change the buffer size)
>>

> So then the assumption is that this "client" would only allow settings
> manipulation and not deal with starting/stopping jack at all. If so, then
> is there an exhaustive list of settings that can actually be changed
> without having to restart?
>
> I can't imagine one could change the device, e.g. without restarting.

Well, now we're getting back into all the reasons why JACK settings should
not be part of a session in the first place. For example, suppose that you
could change the device at runtime: Now you change sessions to one that
uses a different device--and nothing works, because the client can't reach
out into the physical world and plug your other interface into everything.

The list you're looking for is here:

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ServerControl.html

As you can see, setting the buffer size and enabling/disabling freewheeling
mode is basically the extent of it.