Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 11:11:31 EEST

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 06:32:35 +0545
Kazakore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Sorry for the very much off-topic post but I have asked a couple of
> other places and from those tried some recommendations and decided I
> don't like them. On the whole you guys and gals seem to have similar
> sensibilities to me so hopefully can suggest a email client that I
> will agree with. Needs to run nicely in Threaded mode (including own,
> sent emails in the thread for normal, non-list conversations.)
>
> Evolution, Thunderbird and Alpine are the ones I've tried. Instantly
> didn't like Evolution, tried Thunderbird for about the last week (and
> currently typing this in it) with the Conversations plugin and it
> almost works but there is a lot which is clunky and not quite right.
> Alpine I barely got set up, only managed to get it to sync my Inbox
> folder, none of the others, and it all of a sudden stopped even being
> willing to do that.
>
> Considered trying kmail but it's a huge download for just an email
> client (I assume it takes most of the Kontact library/suite just not
> the other actual programs) and am currently on too poor a connection
> to feel it was worth trying on the off-chance (IE it wasn't actually
> recommended by anybody.)
>
> Thanks and sorry for the noise. Dale :)

I'm currently using claws mail, and while it is good there are still a
couple of things I dislike.

One thing you can try if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty is
'notmuch' (http://notmuchmail.org/) in combination with one of its UIs.
There are a few, the emacs and mutt UIs are most likely the most mature
ones, but there are a couple of others.

Regards,
Philipp