Re: [LAU] what is jackd "DSP load"? Blinking "RT" indicator?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 18:38:05 EEST

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, James Harkins wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen <fons@...> writes:
>> Last time I looked at that part of the Jack code it was
>> the maximum over the last N periods (with N = 1000 or so).
>> But things could have changed since then.
>
> There must be some averaging going on in there.
>
> If I create a ton of synths in SuperCollider (driving up the DSP load), the
> % load takes a few seconds to show the actual load. When I remove those
> synths, it again takes a few seconds for the display to fall back to its
> baseline level.
>
> In any case, the display is definitely not an instantaneous reading.

There is a balance between instantaneous reading and using cpu that your
audio could be using. I am not sure if average or peak is being reported,
but it is not suggested to run at 99% anyway. This is just a guide to
decide on latency setting and plugin inclusion. The real measure of cpu
use is xruns or not. This is just one more tool to help with no xruns.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net