Re: [LAU] what is jackd "DSP load"? Blinking "RT" indicator?

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 16:44:04 EEST

Fons Adriaensen <fons@...> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 04:09:18PM +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>
> > Note that it's an
> > average and not a maximum number, so conventional wisdom is to keep it
> > under 60% or so, to avoid xruns (ymmw).
>
> Last time I looked at that part of the Jack code it was
> the maximum over the last N periods (with N = 1000 or so).
> But things could have changed since then.

There must be some averaging going on in there.

If I create a ton of synths in SuperCollider (driving up the DSP load), the
% load takes a few seconds to show the actual load. When I remove those
synths, it again takes a few seconds for the display to fall back to its
baseline level.

In any case, the display is definitely not an instantaneous reading.

hjh