Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: James Harkins <jamshark70@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 16:23:04 EEST

Kazakore <dj_kaza@...> writes:

> Sorry for the very much off-topic post but I have asked a couple of
> other places and from those tried some recommendations and decided I
> don't like them. On the whole you guys and gals seem to have similar
> sensibilities to me so hopefully can suggest a email client that I will
> agree with. Needs to run nicely in Threaded mode (including own, sent
> emails in the thread for normal, non-list conversations.)

I'm not totally sure it will meet all your needs, but Trojita has the nice
advantage of being rigorous about asking the IMAP server for *only* the
information it needs *right now*, and not doing the kinds of stupid things
that, say, Thunderbird does such as download headers for *all* messages before
showing you any header for any message. Even if your inbox has 10000 messages,
if your screen can show only 30 headers, it'll fetch 30 and show them to you
immediately before doing anything else.

Threaded view depends on the IMAP server's capabilities (which means, no luck
for gmail). And it's not especially feature rich. But I use it because I abhor
superfluous network traffic*, and Trojita is the smartest about this that I've
ever seen.

Very responsive developer community, too.

http://trojita.flaska.net

hjh

* I live in China, where access to USA-based email servers can be slow. So
efficient use of network resources is a big deal for me.