Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: kazakore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2014 - 12:25:47 EEST

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 10:57:59 +0200
Philipp Überbacher <murks@tuxfamily.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 07:52:19 +0545
> kazakore <dj_kaza@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > (couldn't find Claws, actually just seen it in Suggested as
> > > claws-mail...)
> >
> > Well slow and buggy Claws just managed to delete my entire Inbox
> > folder! Including emails going back quite a lot of years! (Which I
> > admit I should have moved a lot of to different folders, most of
> > which are set-up but I'm often lazy.) Didn't even put them in the
> > Deleted folder for recovery!!
> >
> > Luckily Hotmail has a Restore Deleted function if you go via webmail
> > and I have managed to get a fair number of the important, recent
> > ones back but definitely still missing a fair few!
>
> I never had a problem like that. I'd double check whether the files
> are actually gone fro the harddrive or just don't show up in claws
> anymore.

Thanks for your comments Will and Phil. I think it might have actually
been user error! I thought it was because I tried deleted the contents
of a folder which it had incorrectly set to Inbox in preferences (I was
trying to open this folder to empty it, I should really remove myself
from the FreeCycle mail-lists now I'm not in the UK but haven't got
around to it but don't like to let it build up too much.) I had
right-clicked on Inbox to set as default inbox (rather than INBOX) and
once the page loaded deleted all (from context menu, stupidly full
delete option, as Del key wouldn't do anything) and then afterwards
noticed it had incorrectly set my FreeCycle folder to be default inbox.
Possibly this is why and a slight bug but really more a matter of
patience required my end.

But I do have both a Inbox folder and an INBOX folder in my list,
trying to delete one fails to remove the folder but does delete all
messages from both!! I might have done this around the same time and
assumed it was from emptying the other folder. Actually emptying the
other folder while it was erroneously set to be default inbox would
have the same effect!

Is there possibly a way to merge both inbox folders into one, as
they're really the same? Don't need the folder listed twice! Although I
could use favourites as all I really need 99% of the time is Inbox and
LinuxAudio folders.

> > So far it actually appears to be slower in letting you browse while
> > better internet than I had before. Not yet managed to find a way to
> > show my own replies inline with the threaded view, although it
> > gives you a clickable symbol to let you know you have a reply (why
> > not just show it inline?) There are a fair number of Plugins
> > installable via Apt but no idea if any would add this
> > functionality?? Yet to work out if the keyboard shortcuts suit my
> > methods...
> >
> > Not tried the other suggestions yet.
> >
> > And although I say buggy that might be an exagaration. Partially my
> > fault for trying to do things to some folders while it's still
> > trying to load other folder's contents I think. Once set up as I
> > like and with a bit of patience my end I don't think anything
> > drastic like that would happen again! ;)
>
> Claws has a support mailinglist, maybe they can help you there.
> I currently have only 16k emails in my largest folder and so far claws
> is fast enough. If you have a lot more maybe something like notmuch
> would work better. I used offlineimap + sup, and that worked
> reasonably well. Maybe offlineimap would be for you, you'd have
> everything available offline. sup is pretty much dead as far as I
> know and it never got mature, so I'd go for notmuch + some frontend
> nowadays. Maybe I'll switch myself at some point, but setting up
> roughly four different programs can be a bit of a pain.

That is far, far more than I have in any folder! Still finding it slow!
Doesn't seem to prioritise what you are trying to do and often doesn't
even seem to recognise you have clicked onto a different message. I
have a feeling it's due to slow internet connection?

Is this offlineimap you mention in one of the plugin packages? As I
mentioned I downloaded the -tools and -docs but none of the -*plugins
so far. Sure there are quite a few which would help me once I know what
to look for. Hopefully one to show own replies inline as well, as it
knows you have replied as provides a link to go to your message, when
personally I would like it to just display it in place.

Anyway as you so rightly point out I should take this to their own
mailing list now. It does in some ways seem smoother than Thunderbird,
despite my quibbles in this thread, and I do like the GTK of setting
shortcuts (although I don't have the setting permanently enabled to
prevent myself from doing so by accident.)

Dale.