Re: [LAU] OT: email clients

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2014 - 11:57:59 EEST

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 07:52:19 +0545
kazakore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > On 05/09/14 19:08, James Harkins wrote:
> > > Kazakore <dj_kaza@...> writes:
>

> > (couldn't find Claws, actually just seen it in Suggested as
> > claws-mail...)
>
> Well slow and buggy Claws just managed to delete my entire Inbox
> folder! Including emails going back quite a lot of years! (Which I
> admit I should have moved a lot of to different folders, most of which
> are set-up but I'm often lazy.) Didn't even put them in the Deleted
> folder for recovery!!
>
> Luckily Hotmail has a Restore Deleted function if you go via webmail
> and I have managed to get a fair number of the important, recent ones
> back but definitely still missing a fair few!

I never had a problem like that. I'd double check whether the files are
actually gone fro the harddrive or just don't show up in claws anymore.

> So far it actually appears to be slower in letting you browse while
> internet than I had before. Not yet managed to find a way to show my
> own replies inline with the threaded view, although it gives you a
> clickable symbol to let you know you have a reply (why not just show
> it inline?) There are a fair number of Plugins installable via Apt
> but no idea if any would add this functionality?? Yet to work out if
> the keyboard shortcuts suit my methods...
>
> Not tried the other suggestions yet.
>
> And although I say buggy that might be an exagaration. Partially my
> fault for trying to do things to some folders while it's still trying
> to load other folder's contents I think. Once set up as I like and
> with a bit of patience my end I don't think anything drastic like
> that would happen again! ;)

Claws has a support mailinglist, maybe they can help you there.
I currently have only 16k emails in my largest folder and so far claws
is fast enough. If you have a lot more maybe something like notmuch
would work better. I used offlineimap + sup, and that worked reasonably
well. Maybe offlineimap would be for you, you'd have everything
available offline. sup is pretty much dead as far as I know and it
never got mature, so I'd go for notmuch + some frontend nowadays. Maybe
I'll switch myself at some point, but setting up roughly four different
programs can be a bit of a pain.

Ciao, Philipp