Re: [LAU] control surfaces

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2014 - 11:11:08 EEST

On Thu, 2014-09-11 at 08:42 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 09/10/2014 07:29 PM, Kelly Hirai wrote:
> > i've had to fight the dust out of rotary encoders in several devices.
> > behringers included. read timings or dust causing them to do things like
> > jitter forward when you turn them back. that would be kind of a show
> > stopper for me if it was cronic.
>
> The BCR/BCF-2000 rotary encoders do not suffer from this issue. Bought
> mine second hand 4 years ago and never had any dust issues. You do need
> to regularly dust them off or cover them though. But that applies to any
> equipment of that kind.

Does Behringer use the same rotary encoders for each release of those
devices?

Also to consider, for example, gloopy fine dust from the street is much
more aggressive, than house dust, even if house dust comes in
combination with cigarette smoke. IOW even identical hardware does
behave different, in different locations. Different moisture, different
temperature fluctuations etc. could make a big difference, military
specifications are not only interesting for the military.

Assumed Behringer should use high quality components, than indeed, the
location doesn't matter that much and it even wouldn't matter that much,
if they replace one high quality component by another high quality
component.

When I compare the Behringer gear with other gear I own, than even cheap
gear from other companies provide more reliable components. I don't know
the BCR/BCF-2000, it might be different for those devices. In my
Behringer devices even the capacitors' voltage/temperature often is
undersized. That's a known issue for switching power supplies used with
consumer gear, but shouldn't happen for audio production gear, but
Behringer doesn't care.

When having not much money, Behringer IMO is a good choice, but to
recommend Behringer gear as reliable gear isn't something I could do.
YMMV!