Re: [LAU] control surfaces

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2014 - 18:56:15 EEST

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:11:08 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-09-11 at 08:42 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> > The BCR/BCF-2000 rotary encoders do not suffer from this issue. Bought
> > mine second hand 4 years ago and never had any dust issues. You do need
> > to regularly dust them off or cover them though. But that applies to any
> > equipment of that kind.
>
> Does Behringer use the same rotary encoders for each release of those
> devices?

I've had a BCF2000 for ages now and haven't had a problem with dust.

> When I compare the Behringer gear with other gear I own, than even cheap
> gear from other companies provide more reliable components. I don't know
> the BCR/BCF-2000, it might be different for those devices. In my
> Behringer devices even the capacitors' voltage/temperature often is
> undersized. That's a known issue for switching power supplies used with
> consumer gear, but shouldn't happen for audio production gear, but
> Behringer doesn't care.

I've had enough Behringer gear, incuding mixers and tube preamps, over the
years and I've always ended up a bit disappointed in the tone and the build.
I think a lot of that comes from the fact that they are almost always ripping
off someone else's design and building it on the cheap.

The BCF2000 is in sharp contrast to that - I love this thing! The build feels
much more solid than the mixer I had and it's always worked really well for
me. Since it doesn't produce sound on its own, it can't sound bad.

As an old analog and radio guy, I'd much rather push buttons and move
faders than tap a mouse, so it's been a joy to work with this both as a
physical interface to Ardour's mixer and as a DJ controller with Mixxx for
an internet radio station.