Re: [LAU] Update: Lightweight WM that can be used without any issue with audio applications

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2014 - 18:32:02 EEST

On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 08:00 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 00:07 +1000, Simon Wise wrote:
> >> There will be others which ask for awkward positions in a way that
> >> Openbox does not fix up.
> >
> > I guess this is the culprit I experience with JWM and openbox. Some apps
> > always open properly, just a few apps, for audio at least Rakarrak and
> > "child" windows of QjackCtl" sometimes (not always) open in a bad way.
>
> Qjackctl saves it's window positions when it exits. It then trys to open
> them in the same position the next time it is opened. If you always use
> the same WM, DE, and application positions it works well. If you switch
> WMs maybe not so well. If you are trying different WMs, what makes sense
> in one may not make sense in another. This is not the WM fault or setting.
> It is not application's fault, though it may be the applications settings.
> It is just the way of things using more than one WM. Right now I am using
> a very small screen and the best window position changes depending on what
> I am doing... so I am noticing this as well. The window does not go in
> open area, but where it was last time.

Yesno ;).

Even when using the same monitor and the same WM and I didn't move the
windows within one session, they sometimes open as wanted and sometimes
e.g. under the panel.

Indeed, I sometimes switch between WMs/DEs and sometimes I use another
monitor with a different screen resolution, but the GIMP screenshot was
done after using GIMP within the same openbox session, using the same
monitor and resolution, without moving the GIMP window. I just closed it
and opened GIMP sometime later again and the position changed.

The JWM issue with QjackCtl windows is a little bit different, sometimes
a QjackCtl child window opens and covers all other windows on all 4 work
spaces.
I very seldom experienced such an issue when using Xfce4 or GNOME2, but
for JWM and openbox such issues are not that seldom, it happens several
times a day.