Re: [LAU] Common DAW session save / import

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2014 - 21:43:29 EEST

> On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 21:25 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > Very cute.
> >
> > However, there are no real standards. Each program, opensource or not, has its
> > own system and ne'er the 'twain do meet. So one restricts to one program, no
> > other choice.
> >
> > Microsoft is so big so makes its own standards, its own rules, changes them at
> > will (example rtf), but they are not in the DAW business. Just many programs
> > run on their platform so may use some of their file-structures.
> >
> > What if the programs we use here, on this list, were inter-operable?
> > Ardour/Harrison, Qtractor, Muse, Rosegarden, etc. We have more choices than
> > does Microsoft. What if Tracktion (proprietary, now supporting Linux!) were
> > brought on board? I do not think it is so far-fetched if there be a will to do
> > so. One opensource library to service this, done once.
> >
> > (I no longer have my old posts, proposals for this. Discussion was a while
> > back.)
>
> Analog tape simply transported one information, comparable to a single
> wav file, but DAWs provide much more information. It's impossible to
> transform it from one to another DAW. Sometimes it's already impossible
> to be backward compatible for different releases of DAWs. The problem
> grows up when thinking about abilities of different workstations, as
> simple as EQ plugins.

Forgive me ;), a last note:

It might be possible to transform editing data, regarding to a .wav that
is played from position a to b, from one workstation to another, but
nowadays there's so much insane audio engineering, that the edited and
glued together wav files are useless without the automation information
of a an unique compressor's ratio setting, changing from one 1/8 bar to
the other or something similar to that.