Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2014 - 16:24:34 EEST

On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 10:56 +0200, Atte wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 09:16 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > It's important to know what you are using, when you say "etc.".
> > Linux could be relatively good reliable, but you need to avoid
> > usage of some software, e.g. plugins.
>
> Extremely true!
>
> I prefer software developed by people with zero tolerance to bugs.

In my experiences Linux audio developer are quite alright regarding to
this issue. They listen to the users and try to help them. I have much
good experiences and just a few bad experiences, when reporting a
problem. Even while my words against computers for music production
often sound harsh, I'm using Linux for good reasons. When I experienced
a bug while using Qtractor and I reported it to the dev mailing list,
Rui usually fixed the issue within a few hours and sometimes much
faster. _But_ that does mean you have to compile the software and build
a package on your own, you won't find such a fix in the repositories of
a distro very soon. I could add a list of developers who are as
interested in bug reports and kind to fix issues as Rui does. I just
mentioned him, because Qtractor is one of the most important apps for my
workflow, anyway, several other developers are as kind and fast as he
is. _Often_ developers are willing to help other developers, with
projects that are not that important for them self, just remember the
patches from Fons for Phasex. _But_ there are issues and you have to
compile the software and build the package on your own, if you wont to
get rid of it without waiting for the next release of your distro. There
are distros that provide such fixes earlier than other distros. I'm an
Arch Linux fan, it's a rolling release and provides AUR, a repository
from trusted users, that even comes with "unsteady" package builds, that
sometimes could be very helpful. _But_ every Linux user needs to test
and select core components, such as the kernel and user space stuff,
that works reliable for her/his workflow on her/his machine. No big deal
when doing home recording, the software is for free! but for
professional work it doesn't matter if you have to pay for the
software/stand alone hardware, it does matter that you don't need to
test what fits to your needs, you pay for something you need and that
usually is reliable. I have to correct one statement I made. You're
right. If a user spend some time to find out what is working for her/him
and then doesn't upgrade the software, it will run without issues, as
long as the hardware, mobo, soundcard, graphics, needs not to be
replaced.

Regards,
Ralf