Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2014 - 16:48:20 EEST

> I have to correct one statement I made. You're right. If a user spend
> some time to find out what is working for her/him and then doesn't
> upgrade the software, it will run without issues, as long as the
> hardware, mobo, soundcard, graphics, needs not to be replaced.

While even analog stand alone devices suffer from a short lifespan of
electronics evolution, the issue for modern computers is much more
significant. I remember that a list member had to pay much money for a
CEM chip to repair his Juno 106, since those chips aren't available
anymore. _But_ professional stand alone gear usually ensures maintenance
for a very long time. Computer hardware can't be seriously maintained,
they change standards too often and you won't find replacement parts to
repair you old computer if needed. Assumed your mobo breaks, would you
find a new mobo that is able to use your Linux compatible sound card and
graphics? Assumed you are able t get such a mobo, are you sure that this
mobo will provide the same real-time audio reliability as your old,
broken mobo did?