Re: [LAU] Common DAW session save / import

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 10:14:16 EEST

Am Sonntag, 14. September 2014, 19:28:24 schrieb Brett McCoy:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Bob van der Poel <bob@mellowood.ca> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold@arnoldarts.de>
> > wrote:

> >> I think the people and orchestras hunting down historic instruments to
> >> recreate the original setting for certain pieces will disagree with you
> >> on this one.
> >>

> > ​Well, I did say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek while
> > transcribing some Haydn. But, despite t​he fact that my little group will
> > be playing it with totally different instruments, etc. ... I'm sure that
> > Papa would recognize his tune. My point is that a piece of paper is very
> > "archival" ... a piece of tape or a shiny plastic disk in 100 or 200 years?
> >

> Case in point... some lute tablature from the late 1500s...
>
> http://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/home/index.php?DRIS_ID=MS410_003

I for one can read that, even play sightreading right away from such a tablature, and transcribing it to a digital format (abctab or Wayne Cripps' lutetab for example) would typically take a couple of hours per piece, and give the possibility to create a midi file or even some score representation by the according interpreter or processing cli app.

Anyway, AFAIK museums, collections or archives of manuscripts have to put substantial amounts of work in conserving manuscripts, as they usually start to suffer from "Tintenfraß" (ink corrosion) after a few centuries.

But, isn't this getting slightly OT ?

Edgar