Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Common DAW session save / import

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 15:23:56 EEST

On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 09:14 +0200, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 14. September 2014, 19:28:24 schrieb Brett McCoy:
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Bob van der Poel <bob@mellowood.ca>
> wrote:
> >

> > > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Arnold Krille
> <arnold@arnoldarts.de>

> <bob@mellowood.ca>
> recorded in

> centuries.

> instruments to
> with you
> > >>

> > > ​Well, I did say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek
> while
> > > transcribing some Haydn. But, despite t​he fact that my little
> group will
> > > be playing it with totally different instruments, etc. ... I'm
> sure that
> > > Papa would recognize his tune. My point is that a piece of paper
> is very
> > > "archival" ... a piece of tape or a shiny plastic disk in 100 or
> 200 years?
> > >

> > Case in point... some lute tablature from the late 1500s...
> >
> > http://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/home/index.php?DRIS_ID=MS410_003
> >

> I for one can read that, even play sightreading right away from such a
> tablature, and transcribing it to a digital format (abctab or Wayne
> Cripps' lutetab for example) would typically take a couple of hours
> per piece, and give the possibility to create a midi file or even some
> score representation by the according interpreter or processing cli
> app.
>
> Anyway, AFAIK museums, collections or archives of manuscripts have to
> put substantial amounts of work in conserving manuscripts, as they
> usually start to suffer from "Tintenfraß" (ink corrosion) after a few
> centuries.
>
> But, isn't this getting slightly OT ?

Modern cheap paper moulders very fast and modern cheap pencil's
colourants fade very soon, but it's possible to use special papers and
pencils, that can last very long. Anyway, sheet music isn't a recording.
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) played by Stevie Ray Vaughan doesn't render
the emotional playing of Jimi Hendrix, just a recording can do that. Two
tenors have tow different voices, Enrico Caruso is Enrico Caruso. It's
not OT. The recording format is important. Analog recordings don't need
to be "translated", machinery is easy to build, even if the machinery,
the players technology, once is forgotten. Digital recordings need to be
"translated" by a special soft and hardware, that is not that clearly to
realise, once the technology is forgotten. You can listen to a record
using a sewing needle, a peace of paper and a pottery wheel. Than it's
easy to design a new record player, providing good sound quality. It
becomes hard to do that for digital format recording machinery.