Re: [LAU] Slow but pitch-correct video playback

From: Rob Kudla <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 25 2014 - 17:06:57 EEST

On 09/23/2014 02:21 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> I encountered a nice piano learning video including hands and animated
> keys, but since it is playing at original speed it is way to fast for
> me to learn that song. In case anyone is interested, it's this video
> and I think it's rather nicely done (don't hate me for the music :P):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej6MF5KjuOc

While it sounds like you may have found something that gets the job done, I
got better quality (to my ears) than mplayer or VLC like this:

$ ffmpeg -i careless-whisper-piano-orig.mp4 -an -b:v 1022k -vf
"setpts=(1/0.25)*PTS" careless-whisper-piano-tutorial.mp4

$ ffmpeg -i careless-whisper-piano-orig.mp4 careless-whisper-piano-tutorial.wav

$ rubberband -t4 careless-whisper-piano-tutorial.wav
careless-whisper-piano-tutorial-stretched.wav

$ ffmpeg -i careless-whisper-piano-tutorial.mp4 -i
careless-whisper-piano-tutorial-stretched.wav -c:v copy
careless-whisper-piano-tutorial-stretched.mp4

It took a while (probably 20 minutes on my underpowered laptop) but I think
this is the method I'll be using the next time I want to learn a part. Not
really a fan of this particular song, but stretched out 4:1 it sounds kind
of mellow and what artifacts I hear just make it a little bit trippy, while
making any Richard-Clayderman-esque parallel-6th abuse and other
easy-listening cliches in this arrangement less noticeable. So, that's an
improvement.

Rob