Re: [LAU] sound fonts/patch files

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 26 2014 - 20:49:34 EEST

> I'm trying to find some sound fonts/patch file sets to use with
> programs like Timidity and to figure out what licenses they're
> available under. Of course, there's the freepats collection (
> http://freepats.zenvoid.org/ ). freepats-20060219.tar.bz2 has GNU
> GPLv2 license. Am also looking for other collections with Free
> licenses. I ran across timidity_tiny at
> http://edge.beemulated.net/utils/index.php which looks really
> interesting because it's lightweight. However, was unable to find a
> license with it. Tracked earlier copies of the files down to
> KDEMultimedia's kmidi which says the license on kmidi is GPLv2 or
> later. With further checking, I found out many of the files were from
> timidity_wow_samples.zip, timidity_drums_samples.zip,
> timidity_base_samples.zip. One sample was from propats 3 collection.
> Not finding much on licensing for any of those files. Does anyone
> have suggestions for lightweight (or other) instrument
> collections/patch files/soundfonts with Free licenses? Thanks.

Musescore has a very lightweight additional package with a 6Mb soundfont,
it's GM:

$ apt-cache show musescore-soundfont-gm
Package: musescore-soundfont-gm
[...]
Description-en: Small GM SoundFont for MuseScore (TimGM6mb)
 This is a GM SoundFont, for use with any modern MIDI synthesiser: hardware
 (like the emu10k1 sound card), or software (like FluidSynth).
 .
 This package provides the larger GM sound set, without the Roland Sound
 Canvas extensions.
Homepage: http://www.musescore.org/

--
C. sanchiavedraZ: