Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 00:25:58 EEST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:13:28PM +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > The only downside (which I have not yet to run into)
> > is that jack is limited in the size of the MIDI event it can deal with

> The ALSA "Seq" API allows scheduling of notes (including of note-off
> events) and much more. That functionality is not available in the JACK
> API, and hence must be implemented by each client.

This is not entirely true. Jack's MIDI API does schedule events,
but only within the current period. Anything that should happen
later has to be remembered by the application, but this is not
really rocket science. Any non-trivial app using MIDI is likely
to maintain its own ordered list of events anyway. Standard
data structures available from many libraries are available
to do this if you don't want to write your own.

Ciao,

--
FA