Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 09:55:06 EEST

Le 26 sept. 2014 à 23:42, linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden a écrit :

> Message: 12
> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 19:21:13 +0000
> From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
> To: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
> Cc: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>, Philipp
> ?berbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:50:06AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> the developers of jack2 have so far not bothered to integrate the "shared"
>> repository for jack tools into their source code.
>
> And they are still using the completely broken resampling code
> from alsa_in/out wherever this function is needed.
>
> At my new work place (the research center of a very big
> corporation) I'm currently trying to push jack2 on Windows
> as a solution for some of the problems we're facing.
> We've been doing some tests this week, and the showstopper
> is the really abysimal performance of all of the jack2 tools
> that depend on resampling.
>
> If the jack2 devs don't fix this and do it very soon, then
> we will - by porting zita-ajbridge (where the 'a' will stand
> for ASIO) and zita-njbridge to Windows. And probably also by
> rewriting the the backend and make it use ASIO directly
> instead of going through Portaudio. Why on earth should
> a system such as Jack support anything but ASIO ?
>
> Tschuss,

Hi Fons,

The "developers of jack2" (…) don't have time right now to invest for this resampling code rewrite, but will be very interested to zita-ajbridge working. Concerning direct ASIO backend support, attached is some files I started to write some months ago, taking the LinuxSampler code base as a starting point. But the code is absolutely not ready as has even not been compiled….

Would "the research center of a very big, corporation" be ready to put some money to have theses development be accelerated ?

(in any case, I can at least compile any new code base on the Windows development machine we have, and publish new Windows binaries, and probably do the same on OSX).

Stéphane