Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 06:30:01 EEST

On September 26, 2014 07:45:44 PM Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
>
> wrote:
> > I would guess the best thing (from a user
> >
> > > POV) would be for a2j to open a new jack client for each ALSA client
> >
> > with the
> >
> > > ALSA name. I am not sure what other consequences this would have though
> > :
> > :)
> >
> > ^ this ^
> >
> > The existing arrangement makes it far from clear what the connections are.
>
> the alsa_midi internal client (based on a2jmidi doesn't change this design.
>
> the correct way to deal with this is to use the pretty-name metadata for
> the ports, then you can name them however you wish. for example, here is a
> qjackctl screenshot after I've a script that calls jack_property to set
> pretty-name values for my RME device:
>
> http://community.ardour.org/files/portprettynames.png
>
> (note the complete absence of "system", "capture" and "playback" in the
> names)
>
> of course, not much at all uses the pretty-name metadata yet, but this is
> definitely the right way for us all to move forward. the screenshot comes
> from a version of qjackctl that isn't even in svn yet :(

I don't have the latest Jack with metadata.

Can you tell me what kind of data exists now?
If I ask a hardware port for its metadata, will I see useful data
 like port names?
Have any conventions been established as to what to call our properties,
 port naming formats, tags etc?

Thanks for the valuable updated info in these threads!
Tim.