Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 17:05:46 EEST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> m a version of qjackctl that isn't even in svn yet :(
>
> I don't have the latest Jack with metadata.
>
> Can you tell me what kind of data exists now?

Malformed question. The metadata API exists for users (or systems) to add
arbitrary data. So no data "exists now".

> If I ask a hardware port for its metadata, will I see useful data
> like port names?

Depends on whether any was added. I am probably the only person worldwide
to have added pretty-name data, and I'm the only person right now to have a
qjackctl hacked to display them.

> Have any conventions been established as to what to call our properties,
> port naming formats, tags etc?

This was all discussed on the jack-devel mailing list last year.

(1) read the output of man jack_property
(2) then add in the fact that well known metadata "keys" were discussed
there, and the idea is for well-known ones to be URIs that resolve to
actual URLs where someone could actually read a description of what the
data is. So for example, we did decide upon http://jackaudio.org/metadata/*
as an "official" namespace, and there was wide support for
http://jackaudio.org/metadata/pretty-name and
http://jackaudio.org/metadata/role (although the 2nd one needs a vocabulary
which is not currently defined).

Unfortunately when we "lost" the drupal jackaudio site due to hacking
earlier this year, we lost the metadata/ part of the website, so the URIs
do not function as URLs right now.