[LAU] Jack from CLI [Was: mplayer no go with snd-hdsp]

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 18:46:15 EEST

Hi, All:

Thanks to everyone who responded suggesting I start using jack to solve
my problem with mplayer and my Multiface.

Trying to start jacd from the command line as root I fail for lack of an
X-server.

Starting as my ordinary user I get:

no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 20
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio8
creating alsa driver ... hw:8|hw:8|256|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames (5.3 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Using port names patch v0.1 (07.04.2010)
Trying to load portnames from /home/janina/.config/jack/cards/Hammerfall
DSP.ss.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /home/janina/.config/jack/cards/Hammerfall
DSP.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Hammerfall DSP.ss.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Hammerfall DSP.ports.in
Trying to load portnames from /home/janina/.config/jack/cards/Hammerfall
DSP.ss.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /home/janina/.config/jack/cards/Hammerfall
DSP.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Hammerfall
DSP.ss.ports.out
Trying to load portnames from /etc/jack/cards/Hammerfall DSP.ports.out

And, things just sit there seemingly forever.

All suggestions much appreciated. Please note I can't use gui tools as
none are Orca friendly, afaik.

Janina

Giso Grimm writes:
> On 09/17/2014 10:15 AM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > But, I can't use mplayer. Am I the only one? Anyone else tried mplayer
> > on the Multiface?
>
> I use mplayer with the jack backend on a RME hdsp card without problems.
> I can reproduce the problem you describe with the alsa backend.
>
> -- Giso
>

> > For cli tools mplayer gives me the ability to pause, or move backwards
> > and forwards through the audio file. This is important to me because I
> > learn music these days by ear.
> >
> > I know one can do this in the gui, but as a blind user the Linux gui
> > audio apps aren't particularly friendly in my experience. Besides, it's
> > so terribly simple, if rather imprecise, to use spacebar, left-arrow,
> > and right-arrow.
> >
> > The error I get:
> >
> > Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
> > AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio:
> > 192000->192000)
> > Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
> > ==========================================================================
> > [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:327:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params)
> > SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed (-16): Device or resource busy
> > [AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Device or resource busy
> > Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=plughw=8.0'
> > Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
> > Audio: no sound
> > Video: no video
> >

> > Exiting... (End of file)
> >
> > Meanwhile, aplay and ecaplay have no problems. So, I thought I should
> > ask if anyone else has experienced this before reporting to mplayer
> > devs.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Janina

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200