Re: [LAU] Jack from CLI [Was: mplayer no go with snd-hdsp]

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 19:50:12 EEST

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:46:15AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Trying to start jacd from the command line as root I fail for lack of an
> X-server.

Unlikely, Jack doesn't need X. But you shouldn't run it as root.

> Starting as my ordinary user I get:

What options do you use ? You'll need at least something like

jackd -d alsa -d hw:NNNNNN

where NNNNNN is the name of the soundcard to use.

You can find out the name by running

aplay -l

(lower case L) The names you can use are those directly
following the card number, you should find your Multiface
in that list.

You could also use

jackd -d alsa -d hw:X,0

where X is the card number.

Jack has many more options, use

jackd --help

to see them.

> And, things just sit there seemingly forever.

Which very probably means that all is OK. Remember that Jack is
a server. You keep it running and it will do its work. Switch to
another terminal for all other commands.

IIRC you wanted to use mplayer. To make it use Jack, do

mplayer -ao jack <filename>

Audio output should appear at line outs 1 and 2.

Ciao,

--
FA