Re: [LAU] Jack from CLI [Was: mplayer no go with snd-hdsp]

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 20:35:52 EEST

Hi,

thanks for the quick help response. Comments in line below.

Fons Adriaensen writes:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:46:15AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > Trying to start jacd from the command line as root I fail for lack of an
> > X-server.
>
> Unlikely, Jack doesn't need X. But you shouldn't run it as root.
Glad to hear. I have no desire to run as root, just that some on line docs
I found seemed to suggest running as root.

> > Starting as my ordinary user I get:
>
> What options do you use ? You'll need at least something like
>
> jackd -d alsa -d hw:NNNNNN

Tried several. Currently:
jackd --sync -dalsa -dhw:8

hw:8 is definitely the Multiface. aplay -D plughw:8 plays there just
fine.

> where NNNNNN is the name of the soundcard to use.
>
> You can find out the name by running
>
> aplay -l
>
> (lower case L) The names you can use are those directly
> following the card number, you should find your Multiface
> in that list.
>
> You could also use
>
> jackd -d alsa -d hw:X,0
>
> where X is the card number.
>
> Jack has many more options, use
>
> jackd --help
>
> to see them.
>
> > And, things just sit there seemingly forever.
>
> Which very probably means that all is OK. Remember that Jack is
> a server. You keep it running and it will do its work. Switch to
> another terminal for all other commands.
>
> IIRC you wanted to use mplayer. To make it use Jack, do
>
> mplayer -ao jack <filename>

Strangely, this gives me:
No such audio driver 'jack'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

This is stock rpmfusion build of mplayer 1.1 for Fedora 20 (x86_64). I'm assuming
they include jack support in their build?

> Audio output should appear at line outs 1 and 2.

Yes, that's were aplay sends it.

tia

Janina

> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@email-addr-hidden
		Email:	janina@email-addr-hidden
Linux Foundation Fellow