Re: [LAU] Bridging alsa and jack midi

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2014 - 20:25:21 EEST

On 09/27/2014 12:45 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> the correct way to deal with this is to use the pretty-name metadata for
> the ports, then you can name them however you wish. for example, here is
> a qjackctl screenshot after I've a script that calls jack_property to
> set pretty-name values for my RME device:
>
> http://community.ardour.org/files/portprettynames.png
>
> (note the complete absence of "system", "capture" and "playback" in the
> names)
>
> of course, not much at all uses the pretty-name metadata yet, but this
> is definitely the right way for us all to move forward. the screenshot
> comes from a version of qjackctl that isn't even in svn yet :(

qjackctl has an client/port aliases scheme and renaming of its own, on a
preset basis, for almost a decade now.

that said, it would be awesome to merge your hack Paul.

i can vaguely remember something about that from you a year ago or so,
but i also remember you also recalled and scrapped it the next day, so
nothing was patched yet :(

is there any plans for (re)posting the "qjackctl pretty-name metadata
patch" or whatever it's called?

i'd be glad to review and possibly integrate with the old client/port
aliases and renaming option.

cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela