Re: [LAU] Electric pop music engineering history - Was: Mix feedback on a new track?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 04 2014 - 20:19:26 EEST

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> but they did not want it identified as a "machine". To solve this
> problem, Pat used the AUTO PAN setting of the SPX90 to keep the
> sixteenth note RX11 high-hat pattern moving, making it harder to focus
> on this track."

Hiding, but really fixing the problem. It does depend on the effect the
musician is trying to produce.

> That's just promotion, but using panning, usually MIDI control instead
> of a noise effect unit, was really one method used to avoid the
> machine-gun effect (just naming it "machine" in the sense of "drum
> machine" is an understatement/downplaying of the issue).

In my case, I did mean machine. Machine gun would be something I use to
refer to drum rolls :) But in this case, the HH is not straight timed
notes. The timing shows quite a lot of variation. It is the sameness of
the sound I was refering to.

This has taught me how much musicianship the average drummer puts into
their playing. I certainly never thought about it when I was playing as
the body movements are more subconsious than I thought. It is no wonder
drummers choose drums over pads.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net