Re: [LAU] Electric pop music engineering history - Was: Mix feedback on a new track?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 04 2014 - 21:10:13 EEST

On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 10:19 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> In my case, I did mean machine. Machine gun would be something I use to
> refer to drum rolls

Folks, lets share "workarounds" for sequencer played synth drums.

I guess one problem that makes drum rolls sound like a machine gun are
sounds without decay/release-time. Snares and toms need to be polyphony
and even a short hit, should cause that they're played from the start to
the end. IMO the machine-gun issue is much more relevant for the hi-hat,
since hi-hat's usually are grouped. Playing the sound of the closed,
half-opened and opened hi-hat immediately stop the hi-hat sound used
before. This is a very good work around when a open hi-hat is played
following a closed hi-hat, but it becomes a PITA if you play rolls on a
closed hi-hat.