Re: [LAU] Electric pop music engineering history - Was: Mix feedback on a new track?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 05 2014 - 07:26:20 EEST

On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 13:00 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> The most common use of electronic drums is for the non-drummer. Often
> using beat patterns or drum parts that are played by KB.

I'm a non-drummer, but even when playing the drums on a keyboard, one
approach is to record hi-hat, kick and snare at the same time and after
recording to separate them to different MIDI tracks. I guess most
musicians, even non-drummers are able to play quaver and semiquaver on a
hi-hat and to play simple bass drum pedal and snare patterns at the same
time, so doing the same thing on a keyboard sometimes can improve the
groove, which results also in a more natural sound. But why not
recording MIDI data played on e-drums by a really good drummer? Test it
and compare such MIDI recordings done with an Atari and a PC. IMO
another showstopper is even jitter free latency, a clean MIDI setup,
keyboard to drum sample player results in a better groove, than playing
a PC sound sampler/drum machine. Even without MIDI jitter the audio
latency likely disturb the feeling while playing.