Re: [LAU] Mix feedback on a new track?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 05 2014 - 17:37:09 EEST

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014, James Harkins wrote:

> On October 5, 2014 12:06:02 AM Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> I do not know if this is good or bad, but, from a drummers POV, I would
>> like to see some variation in the HH sound. For example on the beat where
>> the HH and snare hit, a slightly open HH sound would be nice with a little
>> bit of ring to it.
>
> That's a fair comment, and something that's relatively easy to do with SC's
> generative-music powers. I was going for a more mechanical sound in the drums
> (it's a sampled 80s drum kit, calling old drum machines to mind), but it may
> be more listener-friendly to spice up this element.

Nothing wrong with mechanical drums, I did think the HH sounded mostly
like a noise burst, but that part did not bother me. In the end where the
snare is used on it's own it was obvious in it's sound as well, but the
snare did not register as standiing out. It may be interesting to try a
phaser or flanger against the HH, thouigh be careful it doesnt end up
sounding clock like (tik tok). Maybe just a bit of high roll off.

I want to be careful suggesting something that changes the intended feel,
but I think you would want the drums to support the melody rather than the
other way around.

When I first started mixing live sound, I tended to mix for an overall
blend. It turned out this was wrong. What I needed to do was put the focus
instrument (generally vocal in what I was doing) higher than everything
else. This is not static through a song as there may be times another
instrument is featured, with drums perhaps even for only a single beat.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net