Re: [LAU] turn your tablet into a real physical interface

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 03 2014 - 03:21:50 EET

On 03/11/14 11:45, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, david wrote:

>> I like feeling a real knob or slider, not the flat slick surface of a picture
>> of a knob or slider.
>
> I think there is no one here who wants "touch" for controlling audio. We all
> want something we can feel that we don't have to watch. Watching while moving
> takes more concerntration leaving less for listening, but listening is more
> important. Worse (I don't know about others) the concentration used with a touch
> pad to make sure my finger is in the right place is fully on the upper level of
> my consiousness as opposed to a knob or fader that becomes an extension of low
> level muscle control for the most part.

it is the combination of real knobs and faders with the visual feed back of a
touch screen for selecting and viewing things that works well ... it has been
the basis of some very high end studio mixing systems for a while now. A biggish
button displayed on a touchsceen requires less fiddling/distraction than using a
mouse and cursor if you are mostly using your hands for the keyboard and real
controls ... plus there are some types of control that can be done with
multi-touch or pen quite nicely ... (certainly not knobs, faders and buttons)

Simon