Re: [LAU] SSD(H)

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 06 2014 - 16:16:37 EET

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 14:55:11 +0100
Set Hallstrom <sakrecoer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 2014-11-06 12:54, Dirk wrote:
>
> > Do you have a particular reason to use it only as the OS drive and not
> > for your data? Afaik it is not possible to build two hdd drives in a Mac
> > Mini.
>
> I know you're not asking me, but if i may express my personal reason:
> Put simply: better safe than sorry.
> A choice i mafde after reading a lot about corrupt SSD. But frankly
> speaking, i have no idea how accurate this is today.

Unlike spinning disks, where only a problem with the platter will truly
make the data unrecoverable, when an SSD goes south, it's toast.

I have my OS on 2 mirrored SSDs, record to a filesystem on a single SSD
but back that up to a mirrored pair of spinning 2TB drives nightly. The
more important the data stored, the less I trust any single component in
the system.