Re: [LAU] soundfont question

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2014 - 12:18:26 EET

Am Dienstag, 25. November 2014, 10:28:00 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 07:09:03 +0100 (CET)
> Tim Goetze <tim@quitte.de> wrote:
> > Or you could use a software synth instead: the first thing I would try
> > in your place.
>
> I doubt that using a sound card as soundfont player in combination with
> a second sound card for audio is a good I idea. I would do the same as
> Tim. Take a look at fluidsynth, fluidsynth-dssi and qsynth.

I've tried to do that sort of thing a couple of years ago, with an Audigy, and its analog outputs plugged to the Delta101LT. In my experience it was not worth the effort, the Audigy wavetable memory was too small to hold FluidR3, and the GM fonts that fit in sounded poor IMHO... all in all you're much more flexible with a software soundfont/gig/sfz/whatever player.

My 2 €cents,

Edgar