Re: [LAU] multiple outputs for drumkv1

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2014 - 01:55:09 EET

On 12/09/2014 10:35 PM, Brent Busby wrote:
> I was going to send a feature request to Rui Capela author of drumkv1
> (and of course, Qtractor!), but I wondered if anyone else would also
> like this.
>
> It'd be nice if drumkv1 supported optional Jack outputs per instrument,
> selectable with a toggle at the instrument level. The reason is as
> follows:
>
> Normally if you want sampled drums on Linux, you have three main
> choices. You can go with Hydrogen, which has multiple outputs per
> instrument, but it's a big thick program with a sequencer that's
> currently not as powerful as Muse or Seq24 (or just about anything). The
> plus side: Hydrogen lets you tweak the parameters of your instruments
> in-program from the GUI, for pitch, ADSR, etc.
>
> Or you can create a SoundFont and run FluidSynth. This too has multiple
> outputs, but you can't do much tweaking at the instrument level once
> you've created it in Swami and saved it. Your SoundFont pretty much
> becomes a "rompler" for computers.
>
> Or you can run drumkv1...which has more flexibility in changing the
> sound of your instruments than even Hydrogen, will let you use whatever
> powerful sequencer you want to drive it...but doesn't do multiple
> outputs. Doh!
>
> Basically, if drumkv1 could create per instrument outputs, you'd have it
> all. I often like to send drum sounds back to my hardware mixer for
> more processing in the phsyical world, then record again as another track.
>
> Also, the problem with the way Hydrogen does this is that it's either
> completely on or completely off -- if you turn on the toggle in Hydrogen
> for instrument outs, every single instrument in your drumset gets its
> own Jack output whether you want it or not. Also, even the mono samples
> get a left and a right stereo out. Usually it's overkill, because I'm
> usually not taking every single output to the mixer for processing. I
> don't know if having all those outputs on every instrument adds any
> extra work for the computer or Jack to do, but it does at the very least
> make Hydrogen show up in QJackCtl with a list of outputs that goes on
> forever. Usually I just want six or seven at most!
>
> It'd be nice if on each instrument in drumkv1 had a toggle that says
> you'd like to have a Jack output just for that sound. If it's a mono
> sound, it could be a single mono output. If you want to turn that on
> for every sound in a 30-instrument drumkit, you could...but you probably
> won't...so this way it doesn't waste resources giving you more jacks
> than you're actually needing.
>
> I wondered if there were any comments on this. Also, I think I've seen
> Rui Capela on here before, so he may actually be reading this anyway.

yep. i'm here but sorry, nope.

there aren't plans to have separate outputs for each element, here
called like so as each map to a sample triggered per midi note key and only.

why not use several drumkv1 instances? each one loaded with its own set
of sample elements (if more than just a single one (you might keep an
exclusive mute group under the same instance eg. open and close hi-hat)?

i know it might seem a ridiculous solution, but hey you're not wasting
nothing much in resource terms, because each instance only loads the
sample(s) it is supposed to run anyhow ;)

hth.
cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela