Re: [LAU] Pulseaudio and Qjackctl

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2014 - 00:32:18 EET

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014, Hermann Meyer wrote:

> Finaly I figured out, for me, how I could handle this task, after l've avoid pulse up to a new Mobo,
> with a fresh cinnamon install. How, you could read here.
> http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13234&p=58043#p58043

Yup, that works too. I have found that I can run jackdbus all the time
(jackd would work too) and just run PA when doing desktop stuff. The
latency of jackd can be switched on the fly, so I use 2048 when I am using
jack as the backend for PA and 16 to 128 when I am doing audio only
things. I have found that just unloading the two PA jack modules is good
enough to remove PA from the equasion so long as PA has all ALSA devices
turned off. (maybe making the PA ALSA module not load would work too)

I have found that using jackdbus with jack_control allows me to not need
qjackctl except for making connections (patchage could do that too). So my
session starts Jackdbus at login and runs PA after jack is running. Jack
gets shutdown at logout.

PA with all the ALSA ports turned off and jack not connected creates a
dummy output so that even if something sends sound to it while it is not
being used, nothing locks.

BTW, the two PA jack modules also accept an auto-connect no (not sure of
the syntax) so that if the auto connect connects to the wrong device or is
not convenient for some other reason, the modules with just create the
ports without connecting to anything.

Good write up, thanks for doing it.

--
Len Ovens