Re: [LAU] Headphones

From: Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2014 - 23:25:43 EET

I own/use for pro work

Beyer DT770
AKG 271mk2
Sony mdr 7506

All are pretty decent, but I prefer the AKG 271mk2 cause they are the more
comfortable than others (when used with foam pads).

Good luck

Moshe
My personal headphone GAS-filtering Aikido is similar to Ralf's: a good mix
is never strictly done in headphones, headphones are to be used in addition
to monitors. For this reason, the main take-my-money arguments i need to be
able to answer with "very" are:

- How good is my favorit music sounding in them?
- How comfortable are they?

Once i've filtered out a few models capable of achieveing these goals, i
consider my budget in relation to remaining offer.

> Is anybody aware about a modern headphone, that doesn't suffer from
> fragileness and anyway sounds better than a 30 years old studio
> headphone.

DJ's are exposed to crowd, alcohol and what not, therefor i have a personal
belief that DJ headphones, when produced by a responsible brand, tend to be
very sollid, offer a good sound and isolation. The way my personal
experience shows, in the aspect of robustness and price:quality ratio,
Sennheiser HD-25-1 mkII is a very good standard. And it's easy to find
spare parts. I also happen to be very fond of the AKG K 240 that my studio
mate owns. In terms of comfort, i don't think i have ever tried anything
better then Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro.

This said, my belief is that the ideal headphones can easily become an
unreachable holy grale: music shouldn't have to wait for you to find it.
Since i believe that the best way to have a solid mix is to listen to it on
as many different type of speakers and headphones as possible, it doesn't
really make sense to me to bother that much about a specific model. Also, I
try to keep in mind that it is possible to learn the particular caracter of
a headphone set and to adjust oneselfs method to these caracteristic.

So to conclude my ghetto-perspective input, this is what i tell my friends
when they ask me what they should buy:
Here are my 3 favs: AKG, sennheiser, Beyerdynamics. Now Go to a store,
bring your favorit songs, test these songs (preferably without checking the
price tag before in order not to suffer the "oh they are expensive, must be
good" syndrom) and believe in the force, luke. At the end of the day, if
you feel happy with your headphones, they might very well be the best in
this relative universe.

Disclaimer: please conscider my opinion as it is: just an opinion from a
happy profane. :cookiemoster:

--
Set Hallström
AKA