Re: [LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2014 - 21:46:58 EET

On 12/24/2014 01:38 AM, Roberto Suárez Soto wrote:
> El 24/12/14 a las 10:02, Kazakore escribió:
>> I know CentOS has been used with the Fedora based PlanetCCRMA in the
>> past so might be worth asking on their list as to the current status
>> of it. I also know there is a more general audio spin for Fedora now
>> (Fedora Jam??) so not sure how active PlanetCCRMA still is...
>
> That's the problem: it seems PlanetCCRMA is still "on the works"
> for Fedora 20

Hi Roberto,
Argh. My fault, Fedora 20 has been "feature complete" for quite a while,
I just have not updated the web site.

> and Fedora 21 has been out there already for a while.

2 weeks?

Fedora 21 support is almost there (I posted an announcement in the
Planet CCRMA list), only some packages left to redo (probably the most
important of those is pd-extended). For every release there is something
that stops compiling and needs to be updated or patched...

Something to remember is that most of what Planet CCRMA used to package
is now part of Fedora proper. Qjackctl, Ardour, rtirq and all usual
suspects are in Fedora, so you do not need additional repositories for
those. As other poster points out there is even a "spin" for audio
called Fedora Jam. Planet CCRMA still maintains the rt patched kernel
and "exotic" software like supercollider, pd-extended, chuck and others.
I hope those will migrate to Fedora in due time.

> Besides, I'd like to use more-or-less standard repositories as much as
> possible.

If you do not need an rt patched kernel Fedora is enough...

-- Fernando (maintaining Planet CCRMA since 2001 :-)